332 - What happened to George T Stagg and why do some MGP brands have hype? on Bourbon Community Roundtable #62
Manage episode 307433846 series 69890
We've taken a bit of a hiatus, but we're back and we've got two topics that are hot. A few months ago, Buffalo Trace announced there would be no George T. Stagg in the 2021 release of the Antique Collection. Many theories arose such as holding it back on purpose to create a media frenzy or potentially having a new brand come from it. However, Buffalo Trace has gone on record saying it didn't reach the standard they come to expect from it. We'll analyze this from both sides. In the second half of the show, we'll look at the sheer volume of brands that are built on MGP and how some have hype and some are still finding their way.
- Catoctin Creek has been honoring that tradition of small craft rye whisky since 2009. Learn more at CatoctinCreekDistilling.com.
- Smooth Ambler builds on the traditional roots of American whiskey in West Virginia. Visit SmoothAmbler.com to learn more.
- Wilderness Trail is Sweet Mash Kentucky Straight Bourbon and Rye Whiskey distilled, aged, and bottled in Danville, Kentucky. Learn more at WildernessTrailDistillery.com.
- You can now buy Barrell Craft Spirits products online and have them shipped right to your door. Visit BarrellBourbon.com and click Buy Now.
- Spirits of French Lick is delivering the finest hand crafted Bottled in Bond bourbons. Check out SpiritsofFrenchLick.com.
- Total Wine and More is wonderland for wine, spirits, and beer lovers! Explore more in store or online at TotalWine.com.
- Heaven Hill Distillery has been lifting America’s spirit since 1935. Check out educational resources and sign up for their newsletter at HeavenHillDistillery.com.
- This week’s Above the Char with Fred Minnick (@fredminnick) talks about bourbon advertising.
- BTAC was missing George T. Stagg this year, what are your thoughts on this?
- Do you think they are holding the bourbon back for another purpose?
- Does it feel like a PR stunt?
- What do you gain by going to the NY Times?
- Did any of the BTAC bottles not live up to the hype?
- Why do some MGP brands have more hype than others?
- How sustainable are the higher priced MGP bourbons?
- Is it hard to stay excited about MGP based brands?
- Thanks to @bourbonr, @breakingbourbon, and @sippn_corn for joining.
- @bourbonr @breakingbourbon @sippn_corn
- Support this podcast on Patreon