Manage episode 296535894 series 2946613
African mothers continue the fight for the African family against the continuing legacy of colonialism and slavery. We discuss the role of "Child Protective Services" and the foster care system. We envision a world with African self-determination and collective child-rearing.
With special guests:
- Aniya Butler, who is fighting for the return of her six-year-old daughter, taken by the Arizona Department of Child Safety in 2020.
- Adrienne Spellman, whose son John Andre was killed in February 2021 in a transitional housing complex for foster youth funded by Alameda County Social Services.
- Shawntae Mitchum, Black Studies professor and sociologist from Oceanside, California.
- Maria Odom, mother of host Matsemela Odom, who works as an eligibility worker for Los Angeles Public Social Services serving women in need.
- Thomasine Okey, mother of host Muambi Tangu and model for collective family care-taking.
The People's War radio show is produced by WBPU 96.3 FM "Black Power 96" in St. Petersburg, Florida. It is hosted by Dr. Matsemela Odom and Muambi Tangu, bringing an African Internationalist perspective to the important issues of our world.